Friday, March 28, 2008

Audio Engineering Session 10

Mixing! W00t! My favorite part! I've always liked mixing. Back a few years ago, well ok. more like a lot of years ago, I used to mix my own party music on cassettes. I had a couple of turntables and an old Radio Shack mixer. I used to love doing my own crossfades. Some of the crossfades even started to have a life of its own. Anyways.. I guess what I'm try to say here is that it has captured my interest for over 30 years. Ha, even did some DJ'ing back in the day. Before I get to wrapped up in the past, let me get back to the session...
Now that we have all the pieces to make a song it was time to put it all together. The instructor gave us individual wav files from the previous sessions. We then imported the wavs into Sonar version 2.0. Yup, Sonar 2. Ok well now, gut reaction is, I'm on version 6 now, how can I benefit from using version 2. What is this antique piece of software? When I compare version 6 to version 2, there is not a lot different. In the end, you can acheive the same results. The biggest difference is that you can run earlier versions of software on REALLY cheap (old) machines. In our class we used a P3 with 256 Mb RAM. Keep the chuckles to yourself, in the end we were able to create a great mix. This reinforces the fact that it is the person behind the console, not the equipment that make a great mix.

In the end it is about having a great mix. Don't fool yourself into thinking that mean mixing with the latest, greatest software.

1 comment:

strongpassion said...

Hi Lonnie,

I also was really excited to start mixing. I felt like it gave me a new appreciation for the recording process because I was able to see how important the right recording methods are to making a good mix. There's only so much we can do with Sonar, right? I can really see the benefit now of being able to do the whole thing from start to finish.

Plus, I enjoyed being your partner for this project, and thanks for teaching me lots of new tricks on the software. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of it to use at home.

See you Thursday.