Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My OGG Blog

In my previous blog I mentioned OGG files, a type of compression used by Reaper. Well thanks to my buddy Noise2u over at http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/, I was able to get pointed in the right direction. He quickly noted that OGG files refer to a technology given to us by http://www.vorbis.com/ If you really want to learn about the indepth operations of OGG files then I suggest that you check out their site. I will however, try and summarize a bit from what I have read.
First mention should be that Vorbis is Open Source meaning that it is available for free and being an Audio Engineer we like the word free. OGG Vorbis has been designed with the intention of replacing MP3 and all other compression models. There are a few reason why Vorbis thinks you will be interested. Well, I already mentioned free, but you are also able to compress WAV files into a much smaller size and still sound fine. Inside the OGG packet, you are able to put notes and such which can come handy when elaborating on the track to your fans for example. There are already a lot of companies adopting OGG files as their primary compression and these include EA Games, Crystal Dynamics, PopCap Games and of course Reaper.
All of this is very exciting. Not only will you be able to load 10x the amount of songs on you MP3 player but also allow for supreme performance in audio applications.

No comments: